Personal Representation.
Proven Results.




Recovery on Hit and Runs and Against Uninsured Drivers

After the typical car accident in North Carolina the drivers will speak with one another (and usually a police officer) and exchange automobile insurance information. However, in some cases the at-fault driver will have failed to purchase automobile liability insurance. If this is the case, it may be almost impossible to recover personal injury damages directly from the driver. Fortunately, North Carolina motorists are not without options. They may turn to their own insurance company.

North Carolina law requires that all car insurance policies purchased in this state contain uninsured motorist (UM) coverage. If you have suffered personal injuries because of the negligence of an uninsured driver you have the option of making a claim directly against your own policy. Your insurance company will typically “step into the shoes” of the at-fault driver and negotiate with you as though they are the at-fault driver himself. You will be allowed to recover up to the limits of your own liability coverage, which, under North Carolina law, will be at least $30,000 but frequently as high as $50,000, $100,000, or even $300,000. Your uninsured motorist coverage is also available if you have been hurt as a result of an unidentified hit and run driver.

The lawyers at Maginnis Law, PLLC can assist you with making a claim against your automobile insurance policy’s uninsured motorist coverage, and if your insurance company refuses to offer a fair amount, they can file the necessary lawsuit and litigate your claim.
Maginnis Law, PLLC offers free consultations for all personal injury cases, including all motor vehicle accidents, and it handles such cases on a contingency basis. You pay no attorneys’ fees unless you recover. Maginnis Law, PLLC takes personal injury cases in Apex, Cary, Clayton, Wake Forest, Morrisville, Durham, and the rest of the Triangle area. Please contact the firm at 919.480.8526 to speak with a personal injury attorney or visit the firm’s website at You can submit a new case inquiry by going to