Raleigh FDCPA/Unfair Debt Collection Attorney
Maginnis Law, PLLC is experienced in representing victims of unfair debt collection. If you are receiving calls from bill collectors, debt collectors, creditors or anyone trying to collect a debt from you, even if the debt is actually or partially owed, you may be entitled to compensation if the debt collector or collection agency is acting inappropriately. These actions may be in violation of federal laws such as the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act or Fair Credit Reporting Act or the powerful North Carolina state laws like the North Carolina Debt Collection and the North Carolina Collection Agency Act. Contact the firm for a free consultation to determine whether you might have a claim against your creditors.
North Carolina has some of the strongest protections in the country for individuals against harassment or other unlawful activities by debt collectors and collection agencies. Debtors are not only entitled to receive actual damages as a result of the inappropriate phone calls but can recover statutory damages of up to $4,000.00 per violation. Each phone call or letter by the collection agency, if unlawful in some manner, can be construed as a separate violation.
Some signs that you may have a claim under relevant debt collection laws include:
1) Collection Letters that do not contain a North Carolina Department of Insurance Permit Number.
2) Calls to one’s workplace after the debtor has instructed the collection agency not to do so.
3) Calls to one’s family members.
4) Calls after a discharge in bankruptcy.
5) Calls using obscene or profane language
6) Calls during normal sleeping hours.
7) Threats to garnish wages, or other threats of unlawful activities.
8) Threatening to report to credit reporting agencies if the debt is not in fact owed.
9) Any other inappropriate or harassing actions.
All unfair debt collection consultations with Maginnis Law, PLLC are free of charge. We also accept these cases on a contingency basis so that you pay no attorney fees unless you recover something. Maginnis Law, PLLC is a Raleigh, NC law firm accepting FDCPA and NCDCA cases from Raleigh, Cary, Apex, Durham, Morrisville, Clayton, Wake Forest, and throughout the Research Triangle areas. For select cases, we will file outside of the Triangle area.